Minor Project / Tenang

04/04/2023 - 10/07/2023 (Week 1 - Week 15)
Reagan Val Adelbert Mahadi / 0349177
Minor Project / Bachelor of Design in Creative Media
Tenang


INSTRUCTIONS



Task 1: Proposal

For the first task, we were told to create a proposal and first, we had to do some research on specific points related to the project we are doing. The subtopics are divided into different people in the group according to their own specialization. For the research part, I had to research game characters and virtual pets. Mr. Mike also provided us with a Miro board where we can put our research there to present to him during discussions in class.

For the first two weeks, I did contextual research on virtual pets, explaining their function and providing evidence of whether virtual pet works for mental health issues or not. I used ChatGPT to give me insight into the research I am trying to do.

In the third week, we had to scrap off the research because the use of ChatGPT is not allowed so I did it slowly by first researching characters in games that 12-25 years old likes. The research contains explanations about the design direction of the character (how the character looks, acts, etc.). I also added several examples to support the research.    

Continuing into the fourth week, I did more research about virtual pets after getting feedback from Mr. Mike. Found a research paper that discusses a quite similar project that the author was doing with us and did more research on a specific topic about whether gamification works for mental health.

The link to the research can be found here.

The link to the Miro board can be found here.

Upon finishing the research for everyone in the group, we created the proposal slides and presented them to our client Angsana.


Fig. 1.1 Tenang Proposal 

Task 2: Design Development

In this task, we divided the task according to the specialization. The task that I was assigned was to create the background for the application. I started creating the background during the second week.


Fig. 2.1 Background line art drafts

After making these drafts, my groupmates decided to pick some of the ideas from the draft and also decided to make the theme a treehouse. One of my groupmates shared me her drafts for the background and asked me to create 2 more backgrounds, and also add some elements inside her drafts.


Fig. 2.2 Week 6 drafts

After finishing the line art, I proceed to the coloring part for the background. I also added shadows, shadings, and also light effects on the background. Since the theme of the background is a treehouse, my groupmates suggested using a lot of green colors for the background.


Fig. 2.3 Week 7 drafts

Got more feedback from my groupmates to make the color brighter since it looked too dark. I also revised the line art for the drafts since they look a bit messy. I used different thicknesses for specific parts of them so the contrasts can be seen.


Fig. 2.3 Week 10 drafts

We decided to make changes to one of the living rooms by making it more colorful so that it doesn't look boring.


Fig. 2.4 Living room revised

After getting feedback, I had to make another version for the living rooms. Mr. Mike suggested making nighttime for the living room and also creating a new color for the other living room since both of them have dominant green colors. I decided to use blue for the other room so that they contrast, also created the night version of it.


Fig. 2.5 Week 11 drafts

After finishing them, I proceeded to the other 2 drafts that I haven't colored and fixed the line art.


Fig. 2.6 Week 12 drafts

After getting feedback, I immediately made changes so that I can finally finish it. The color of one of the rooms is a bit too monotone, so I added more colors to make it more colorful. One of the rooms is also a bit too dark so I adjusted the lighting.


Fig. 2.7 Week 13 drafts

After receiving feedback, we decided to only use 2 of the drafts that I did.


Fig. 2.8 Final backgrounds

Task 3: Final Presentation


Fig. 3.1 Final Presentation


FEEDBACK

Feedback can be found here


REFLECTIONS

Week 1
In the first week of this class module, I wasn't really familiar with many people since I came up to the university pretty late. Luckily I was able to meet some new people and able to join a group. It took me a while to process the assignment that we will be doing and thought that my specialization for my group project isn't really crucial since my project is mainly focused on its UI/UX. So I was a bit nervous when I joined this group and asked myself whether I will be of any use to the group or not.

Week 2
This week, all I did was research. I was still processing and understanding the purpose of the virtual pet in the application that we are doing so, I used ChatGPT since it was handy and it helped a lot. I also did some drafts for the background and ended up making 6 of them.

Week 3
After learning the points stated by ChatGPT, I got a proper introduction to what I have to do now, so I did my own research on the web and read the papers one by one to summarize the research I conducted. After the feedback given by Mr. Mike, I had to do more research on my part since I lack an explanation about the virtual pets themselves. I got to do more research on the part of the virtual pet so that I can understand and am able to explain it to everyone and Mr. Mike.

Week 4
After doing research, I found some papers that contained virtual pets and some of the key materials that are related to the topic. It took some time to finish the research but I finally finished it. I explained it to Mr. Mike and everyone in the class and I was glad that my research was enough to make Mr. Mike understand that I understood the assignment and we are able to proceed with our work and finish up the research part.

Week 5
For this week, I was not really assigned any task since they said I did a lot of research for the virtual pets.

Week 6
This week I created 2 background drafts and added some elements to existing background drafts that my groupmate did.

Week 7
For this week, I finished adding colors to the background. The theme of the background is a treehouse so my groupmates told me to mainly use green color. I used my time a lot on reference and surfing interests. It also took a long time to color it because I had to pick on which colors look good to each other.

Week 8
This week is independent learning week so I continued on with my background drafts.

Week 9
This week, we showed the presentation slides to Mr. Mike and got feedback that we can do what we want and not follow our partner's abilities in computing school.

Week 10
For this week, I had to redraw the line art for all the drafts because it was still messy. It took me a while to redraw the line art and I also had to do the coloring again. The coloring part didn't take that long since I had the draft of it. After redrawing the line art, it felt that the background looked smoother and better. I was glad when I finished the background draft this week because it definitely looks better than last week's work, I was quite satisfied with how it turned out. I just hope that the work done is acceptable for the submission and for the client that we are working for.

Week 11
After getting feedback from Mr. Mike, I had to recolor the other room with a different color so that it creates contrast. I also had to make another version of the room in nighttime mode. I added shades and lights so that it creates depth and looks more realistic. It took me a while again to pick out the colors and look at references so that I can know which colors suited together and look good enough.

Week 12
I made up 4 works that consist of 2 rooms with different versions. I used different colors for the 2 rooms so that it creates contrast. Overall, it was the same kind of work as I did last week.

Week 13
This week I finalized my work and finished by changing the colors based on my groupmate's feedback.

Week 14
This is our final week to finalize the design and content of the slides. I am not really assigned to do any more work aside from making the slides. Sadly we only used 2 of the background for submission and I felt that all the work that I did was in vain. I was quite disappointed that all the work I did was not even fully used and I really didn't contribute much to the group work as I was just doing the background and some of the presentations. It felt like all the work I did that cost many weeks was useless and I just hope that I get to do more next time in another group project. I just hope that this doesn't happen again in the future for group project assignments. I also tried to ask if my team needs help with any work that I can do, but they said that I couldn't do anything about it so I just did what was assigned to me.

Week 15
This week was the final week for this semester, we presented our final presentation to Angsana and it was fine and clear. We have had a lot of positive responses from both Mr. Mike and Angsana. Thanks to Mr. Mike too for always supporting this group and make the best out of it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Major Project / Monster Hunter Concept Art

Game Art / Art Bible